Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Temptation by Meggan Jacobsen

 I felt it swell in the darkness, I heard it raise in the night
a spot on a bolt of velvet, a mark on young skin white.
Into the depths it beckoned, from whence it stood I could hear
Its downy tongue in the distance, veiled lies behind the clear.

An army of evil intentions, with a grip ‘round my throat so tight
its roots in the air enfold me into a cosset of black delight.
I reach away past the foggy void, for there’s an inkling in my veins
but its clouded memory cannot enforce a rule that no longer remains.

But still I stand in its shadow, as the stabbing beat matured
mocking me with its gleaming teeth, and it’d not yet said a word.
A smile of silk my lips became, to meet it with a reply
a pledge in a passionate moment, an escape all reason defied.

Now I am caught in the coppice, flailing happily in its viscous high
I am a note on the edge of a symphony, a sob on the end of a cry.
I am a bird in the air on a stream of lace,
I am a ripple of infinite size,
a stag whose dazzling sheen beguiles with foaming mouth and golden eyes. 

Yet then its fangs of death release, too soon and still too late
you’ve sampled the seductive fruit whose seed will grow to hate.
Its wayward wiles have captured you, seized all that you own
Be wary, oh, friend I implore you! - for you know not where it roams.
Its textured cries will fool you, with a layer of weeping so deep...
that naught but God alone can stand a vice so terribly sweet.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of Oscar Wilde's quotation: "I can resist anything except temptation."

    ReplyDelete