Sunday, March 18, 2012

City Visits in Summer by Hillary Mulka

The sidewalk is full of busy people and the sun shines down in the heat.  
 
I search for you, watching for the red hair to stand out among the beige and grey waves of concrete.  Cars jostle for position on the street.

Footsteps fall hard and quick on the ground as I run towards you.  I see you grinning wide, even from a distance.

We laugh together as I leap into your arms, your breath escaping when I squeeze you too tight.  There it is; the smell of you that I hadn’t smelled for months.  Your beard tickles my cheek.

Your hand holds mine, tighter than ever before and you never stop smiling.

Your head and body stay turned toward me, like you fear you’ll forget what I look like even in glancing away for a just a second.

We share our favorite celebration drink together.  I can taste the sweetness on your lips when we kiss.

It is so warm and comfortable, falling asleep together after staying up too late.  Your grip lingers around my waist, even while you sleep, like you don’t want to lose me in a sea of sheets.



1 comment:

  1. Very romantic, Hillary! I like your use of concrete, sensory details: "watching for your red hair," "your breath escaping," etc.

    ReplyDelete