Sunday, March 18, 2012

Trapped by Josh Belleza

Every day, I watched William from the other side of a closed window. He was always doing something at his desk. One day, he left his window open. He wasn’t there today, but I went in anyway and tried to figure out what he was doing at his desk. I found out that he had written a letter, but I couldn’t read it. I eventually fell asleep trying to read the letter.

I woke up a few hours later because the ceiling had fallen on me! There seemed to be some light coming from the two ends of this collapsed area. It was like I was in a tunnel. I started to head for one end, but the ground started trembling. I thought it was an earthquake! Then I heard this slobbering-like sound, and the light at the end of the tunnel faded away. It was now very dark!

The earthquake continued, and I could barely keep my balance. The ceiling had collapsed on me, which further restricted my movements. I was forced to crawl and feel my way around this dark tunnel. It was so frustrating to forcefully crawl my way around that I decided to wait until the trembling earthquake ended.

After several hours of enduring that trembling earthquake, I heard a loud, ear-splitting, squealing sound. I then felt like I was rapidly falling! The falling stopped, and then I heard the loud, ear-splitting, squealing sound again, followed by a loud metallic slam. Then there was nothing but silence.

It was finally peaceful! The earthquakes and falling stopped, so I decided to crawl out of this dark tunnel. As I crawled out of the dark tunnel, I noticed that all the walls of the tunnel seemed sticky with some dried, foul-smelling, tar-like liquid. I definitely had to get out of that tunnel.  When I got out of the tunnel, I reached a wall. There seemed to be some space between the walls and the outer walls of the tunnel, so I decided to try to crawl my way through that space. 

I crawled and felt my way around the walls, but I found nothing but walls. I noticed that the walls seemed to be clean and free of that foul-smelling, tar-like liquid. I continued to crawl around the walls, but I couldn’t find an escape route. I was trapped!

Every now and then, I would hear that loud, ear-splitting, squealing sound, followed by a loud, metallic slam and some unknown stuff falling on the outside of the walls. This caused the walls to close in. More unknown stuff from the outside kept dropping in and adding more weight. The walls kept closing in on me, and I felt like I was in a vise, slowly being crushed to death!

I was trapped and alone. I was in an unknown, hostile environment. The wall was closing in on me and I hadn’t eaten in a while. I was running out of air. There was no escape. I was frightened and prayed it would end soon. There was nothing I could do, so I slept and hoped that something would happen soon.

I woke up to the loud, ear-splitting, squealing soun,d followed by earthquakes. I crawled and felt my way all along the walls, but my surroundings hadn’t changed! I felt like I was in some torture chamber because I was being crushed and starved. This was no dream. The pain was real. There was no escape.

The trembling earthquakes continued. My stomach wouldn’t stop grumbling, and I was so hungry that I thought about eating the wall. I thought maybe I could eat my way out. But the wall tasted like dry, dusty paper. The wall was definitely inedible, so I decided against eating it.

My poor stomach continued to grumble. The earthquakes stopped and many hours passed. Every now and then, the quaking continued, and I heard what sounded like human voices. Maybe I was just hearing things. Maybe I was just hoping to be found so I could eat some food. I was running out of hope. I needed something to happen to give me more hope.

All of a sudden, I heard a loud cranking sound, followed by that rapid falling again. I heard a loud slam and I stopped falling, probably because we hit the ground level. Then there was nothing but eerie silence.

The only thing I could hear now was a deafening, painful, grumbling sound coming from my stomach. I could hardly breathe, so I decided to crawl around. I was desperately searching for any new holes. I was devastated at my findings. Even though all those earthquakes happened, no new holes formed. I was still trapped and starving. I was definitely going to die! I eventually passed out due to exhaustion.
      
I was going in and out of consciousness. I thought I was dead. I heard some muffled voices in the background. I felt as if the walls all around me and I were slowly being lifted off the ground. I heard a voice again. The voice seemed louder, but it was still unintelligible. I thought I heard the name of William being said. I very weakly opened my eyes and saw a bright light. I heard a loud, ripping sound and air came rushing in. The light had become very bright now. There was someone there. I thought to myself, “Where there are people, there’s food!”  I was finally saved!
      
I literally flew out and into the light. I headed straight for food. I grabbed onto a peach colored object and took a bite. It was still warm and fresh. The sweet, juicy, warm, refreshing liquid was so satisfying after starving for so long. I took in several large gulps. When I was trapped inside those walls, I had thought I was definitely going to die. Now I knew I was going to live!

All of a sudden, I heard a loud smack. I felt as if I had been crushed by the walls. The last thing I heard before I died was that person saying, “Ouch!  A stupid mosquito flew out of that envelope and bit me!”

1 comment:

  1. This is a very witty story, Josh. You do a marvelous job of building suspense.

    ReplyDelete