Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Squirrel by Yvonne White

In 2010, when I was going to see my dentist, I was singing because it was a beautiful, bright day. All of a sudden, a squirrel was running to the other side of the road and, without a warning, a Jeep came and knocked down the squirrel. The poor thing was wagging its tail. It was so horrifying that I was not able to concentrate on what the dentist was doing to my teeth. I kept on thinking of the squirrel. I was hoping that, by a miracle, it was cured, or someone picked it up and took it to an animal doctor for treatment. However, the squirrel was still there, still wagging its tail, and blood was coming out of its body along with its intestine. It knew that it would soon die. I had a headache that night, thinking of the squirrel, and did not eat well that day.

We were taught to respect creatures great or small, not kill them for sport or hit them with cars. I just wish that one day there will be animal rescuers on the roads to rescue animals, not just dogs and cats. How long must people, including children, keep seeing dead animals on the roads ‘til enough is enough?


No comments:

Post a Comment